lunedì 31 gennaio 2011

A trip to Pisa and Siena ramblings

Ciao everyone!
I know it's been a while since my last blog update so I apologize. First, I want to say how excited I am about Sarah and David's engagement! I'm having a wonderful time here but I would love to be home to be with everybody right now.
Anyways, I've been pretty busy during the week with classes almost all day. Italian gives me a headache almost every day, but I feel like I am improving. Strangely, Italians watch TV almost 24/7, including at dinner, which could be annoying but actually is very educational. One show in particular, in which contestants match guests to their professions, is especially fun, and Krissy and I have taken to bringing our dictionaries to dinner to figure out what's going on.
Friday I got food poisoning, I think, which was no fun at all. My host mom took really good care of me, made me tea and even kissed me three times on the cheek! She was convinced I was sick because I ate a gelato in town (which I didn't) and it made my stomach cold, which made me sick in the cold weather. I'm pretty sure it was food poisoning, but I let her think that. I guess Italians have weird superstitions about illness.
Luckily, I was feeling better by Saturday morning and was able to go to Pisa with a big group of mostly Lewis and Clark students. I opted not to go up into the tower since I was still feeling pretty weak, but I did make it into the Duomo, Baptistry, Camposanto, Museo Sinopie and Museo Dello Opera Duomo. My favorite was the Camposanto, a gorgeous frescoed cloister that was, sadly, bombed during WWII, but is in the process of being refurbished. When the frescoes came off in the bombing it revealed the sketches underneath, called the cartoons, which are now housed in the Museo Sinopie.




The trip to Pisa itself was interesting. We caught a 7 am bus to the airport and had to figure out our way from the suburbs into the city, which was a challenge. We opted to take the train back to Siena. Back in Siena we went for a pretty nice dinner (I might suggest the restaurant to my parents), and then went home. I slept for over 12 hours, woke up to a huge Sunday lunch (another Italian thing), took a shower, a 2 hour nap, had dinner, and went back to bed. It was a good day, and now I feel great!
I don't have the pictures from Pisa on my computer just yet, but will update this as soon as I do.

Much love,

Megan

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento